Friday, March 30, 2007

Don't Hate Me

Whenever I tell someone about a decision I have made regarding the way that I will rear my child, I feel like I need to add "don't hate me!" to the end of the statement just in case they want to kill me because they think I'm ruining a heretofore unsullied individual:

I sometimes forget to take my multivitamin (don't hate me!).
I don't worry about using special laundry detergent (don't hate me!).
I'm still nursing every four hours (don't hate me!).
Almost all of my baby's clothes are hand-me-downs (don't hate me!).
I'm a stay-at-home mom (don't hate me!).
My baby plays with his rattle in church (don't hate me!)
I think I'm going to start letting my baby cry himself to sleep through the night (don't hate me!).

I think I've always been a little sensitive about other people's opinions and expectations of me, but I've never been in a situation where people had such strong opinions or expectations. I've also never been in a situation where I've wanted to desperately to do a good job or been so unsure that I was doing anything right. I am smart, funny, and good-looking, but if someone looks at me the wrong way because there's a poo stain on my baby blanket, I feel like the world's biggest loser and the world's worst mom. It stinks.

Luckily, as my baby grows smarter, funnier, and better-looking, I grow more confident that I'm ok. And, let me tell you, he's getting there.

No comments: