Saturday, July 07, 2007

Non dairy desserts

As most readers of this blog are aware, I haven't been consuming any dairy products for the last year. Ok, so I've slipped a little, but as a general rule, I have gone without milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, sour cream, whipped cream, cream cheese, cheesecake, milk shakes, chocolate mousse, egg nog, and Alfredo sauce for one full year, marked by my baby's birthday. As a result, I was able to nurse my baby, I lost my baby weight in a snap, and I lived for a year without the effects of a dairy sensitivity that I never knew I had (mild stomach aches, allergy symptoms, and rashes). I also had a sinking disappointed feeling every time my mom made lasagna for Sunday family dinner.

I think, all things considered, I could give up dairy completely if it weren't for dessert menus. Next time you go out to eat, look at the dessert menu and see if you can find more than one dairy free dessert. Most likely there will be a warm chocolate cake on the menu, and that will be your only choice. Now, I have nothing against chocolate cake; I'm just really, really in favor of cheesecake.

So, last night my husband brought home take-out from a Japanese dessert bar. I guess most Japanese people are lactose intolerant, so their desserts are mostly soy and fruit based rather than milk based. I think I've found my dessert replacement. Oh, the bliss of black sesame sweet tofu. Oh, the decadence of kuromitsu syrup. Every reader of this blog now has the assignment to find and buy every Japanese dessert they can find so that they will create a raging market for them and I will be able to get them cheaply when I don't live in New York.

No comments: