I've been over a month without internet access in our house. Every stolen minute on the ancient family desktop at Grandma's house is like a gulp of cool water.
Actually, yesterday I took a couple of minutes while Baby was preoccupied at Grandma's house to finally update this blog. After writing two frenzied paragraphs, of course, Baby came toddling over and slowly, deliberately pushed the glowing green power button. Oh well, it was just a blog entry. I suppose I should be glad I'm out of law school and my term papers are behind me and safe from Charlie's remarkable intuition with technology. Today, I accepted sweet Husband's offer to take Baby for the afternoon while I put in some quality time with public computers in the law library.
No internet, no TV, no newspaper. I am almost totally unconnected wtih the outside world. I actually checked a paper map of Utah county the other day to figure out where something was. And a phone book. What, there's a Mormon running for president?
In this temporarily primitive state, Baby and I have resorted to primitive forms of entertainment to pass the time: storytelling, circle stomp dancing, VHS tapes, etc. Instead of parking in front of my laptop, I've started showering and cleaning my house during naptime. Needless to say, my hair and my house haven't been this clean in over a year.
But it's so not worth it. I'm losing my mind. I feel like I'm living on a different planet, missing everything that's going on with my friends on Earth. Well don't worry, friends, I'll be back soon.
Wednesday, September 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
The only way I can keep my son from powering down before it's time is to let him play with the open/close button on the CD-rom thing. That usually takes the edge off of his craving. And, surprisingly, the CD-rom still works.
If that gets boring, then I'll let him push buttons on the scanner. The pop-ups telling me that my "image" needs to be saved is much less frustrating than losing stuff I've been typing.
Term paper or blog, it's always devastating to have something you've been creating destroyed. Right after something like that happens to me there's a moment of shock as I cannot believe that suddenly my thoughts have been lost into outer space.
...I wonder if that sort of lost content will be restored during the millennium?
I sort of hope not. It's bad enough thinking that many of the more embarrassing emails I've written still exist on some server somewhere.
Maybe for the righteous, all of the good things that we've ever written will be restored and all the dumb things we've ever written will be permanently erased from the universe forever.
Welcome back, Portia!
you sisters are fantastic. It's really late at work right now, and reading your blogs makes my evening!
Also, a big "hello" with love from ella and stu!
Post a Comment