Friday, May 09, 2008

Stroller Selection

I'm on a quest for Baby's perfect New York stroller. Last summer, I borrowed a Maclaren Triumph from my generous sister-in-law. I used that stroller for most of Baby's waking hours. I used it as Baby's high chair, I carried my groceries in it, I rocked Baby to sleep in it, I took it to church, I rattled it across the cobblestones at Fulton Fishmarket, I bounced it down subway stairs, I plowed it across the Sheep Meadow at Central Park. The Triumph treated me well, but of course I found some minor problems. As a purely hypothetical example, it just might maybe tip over backwards if you hang a bag full of soup cans over the handles while you're grocery shopping.

As many New Yorkers have told me, shopping for a stroller is like shopping for a car (and nearly as expensive, I'm finding). In some ways it's even more difficult than shopping for a car.

First of all, for all of its excellent qualities, Provo is not a great place to buy high-quality strollers. There are lots of babies, yes, but people with money just drive their babies around in their SUVs and people without money can't afford to drop hundreds of dollars on a stroller for their hundreds of kids. You can find a not-too-bashed-up Graco at a consignment store for thirty bucks, it'll pretty much do yuh. So, if you're a Provonian in the market for a stroller that's very lightweight, very high quality, foldable with one hand, steerable with one hand, manageable over curbs, cobblestones, and subway stairs, your selection is limited.

Also, strollers are baby items, and the baby world goes through fads. For example, right now I am seeing a fad of dress-up fairy princess birthday parties among two through four-year-old girls. If little girls had these when I was little, they didn't invite me. Ruffly dresses with matching lacey panties are out. Monkeys and alligators in primary colors are in. Keeping this in mind. I have to wonder how much of the $900 on the price tag of the popular (well, popular in New York) Bugaboo Chameleon is due to the fact that it's trendy. Don't get me wrong: I'm pretty dang trendy, but not $900 worth of trendy.

3 comments:

Bran said...

$900!!!!!!!
My little-inner accountant named Herbert doesn't like the sound of this. I'd never considered a stroller to be such an expense. Okay, no babies. Or maybe we can just carry the baby. I'll start doing push ups so that maybe someday I'll have the upper body strength to do such a thing.

Tiffanie said...

Ugh. Stroller shopping. What a headache. I just got a new double stroller since I'll be pushing two little ones around. Not cheap. Hopefully it's worth the price. Good luck with your shopping!!!

ZAC said...

Maren, you need to check out a blog of a friend of mine...maybe you know the Chenn family? Anyway, they live in NY and she has created a blog that reviews all kinds of topics, including various products that make life in the big city more manageable. I can't remember if she actually reviewed strollers on the site but she talks about her own. Anyway, you should check it out. You can even win products so check it out: www.citruslist.blogspot.com