I watched the Godfather for the first time last week. I loved it.
Every once in a while I see a movie that I've always heard about and never seen, and I love it. I watch it ten times in a row. I watch the director's commentary ten times in a row. I send it back to Netflix and immediately put it back in my queue so I can be pleasantly surprised when my new favorite movie appears in the mail next year.
I think to myself, "This movie is so great. Why hasn't anyone told me about it before?" But then I slap myself in the forehead because everyone has told me about it before. I just ignored them. The question is, why did I ignore them?
Sometimes I put off watching, reading, or eating something that I know I'll love just because. I don't know why. Sometimes it's because I don't have the money or time for it. Sometimes it's because I don't have the energy to get hooked on something new. And sometimes I just don't. I know it's not human nature because Husband doesn't understand this at all. If he hears that a movie is good, he whips out his phone and immediately buys it. As you can imagine, my occasional reticence annoys him to no end. I also know that my mom and my sister do the same thing, so I'm not the only self-punishing weirdo around here.
Maybe it's because I'm saving it for Christmas . . .
Here is a short list of the things I know I will be glad I did that I haven't done yet:
Visiting England
Roasting a whole chicken
Watching "Firefly"
Using Mac makeup
www.pandora.com
Attending a J. Reuben Clark society meeting
Listening to This American Life
Seeing "Wicked"
Visiting a dermatologist
Here is a short list of things that I put off forever and couldn't believe I'd put off for so long once I finally tried it:
"The Godfather"
"Dr. Strangelove"
Audiobooks
Setting up my printer
Making my own bread
"The Office"
Cooking with fresh garlic
Monday, December 08, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm there with you on Firefly. It's almost like I don't want it to be over, so I haven't even started it.
What you have just described (at least the movie part) is about every other day of my life. But it's usually Josh being astounded by the fact that I haven't seen some classic or amazing movie--made "worse" by the fact that we own it--and me sort of mentally adding it to the list of things to do if he dies before me. Because I really don't know if I'll get to them before then.
Needless to say, I still haven't seen the Godfather.
I don't know if I'm the sister you're referring to here because I don't think we've ever discussed this. But now that you mention it, I'm the same way. For instance, I still haven't picked up the new Death Cab for Cutie CD. And I know it will be awesome.
But this can also backfire. I thought I would really love the movie Edward Scissorhands and I put off watching it for a really long time and then I finally saw it. And I hated it. Don't even get me started on how much I hate that movie.
To a much lesser extent, I had a similar experience with reading On the Road. Where it sounded like a book that's I'd totally be into, but when I read it, it was kind of like, "meh."
Let's go see Wicked the next time I come see you! Unless it's like impossible to get tickets. Is it impossible? It is isn't it? Then lets go see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
Which is another great example - I love that movie and I bought the DVD like 6 months ago and it's still in my car...
Post a Comment