Friday, July 31, 2009

Facebook

I just visited Facebook for the first time in four months. I'm not really into Facebook. At this point I think I just visit Facebook to maintain the illusion that I'm hip. Although, for a twenty-something, Facebook is hardly about being hip anymore. It's more about being functional. I keep it current for the same reason that I collected signatures in my high school year book. It's just what you, you know, do. And it was pretty fun for a while, but I'm starting to feel like I've been collecting high school year book signatures for a really long time, and the idea that I need to keep on collecting signatures forever is a little daunting.

Not so for Husband. He collects friends, Facebook and otherwise. If you send him a friend request, he will add you, I promise. (As if I didn't know that he had already added every last person who reads this blog). His 1,000 plus friend collection is easily surviving the defriending trend that is sweeping Facebook (it had to happen, and it is a good thing).

Now that Facebook has become what it is, I'm kind of interested in some data. What is the average number of friends on Facebook? Is there a "Most Friends on Facebook" record? What is the most common demographic on Facebook? Someone write a good New Yorker article about this.

Today, to make up for the fact that I haven't looked at it for four months, I left it open on my computer all morning. It was kind of mesmerizing to watch the world go by via everyone's status updates: Julie is making banana bread; George hates President Obama; Pete thinks Obama is *&#ing brilliant; Anne loves her husband; Julie is eating her banana bread.

I don't do status updates: My patchy Facebooking creates a risk that I'll inform the world that I'm changing Baby's diaper or frying green tomatoes or thinking about drinking beer in the White House for four months straight.

2 comments:

xister said...

I think that status updates disappear after a few days. I put my last Facebook update 2 weeks ago, and now it is gone. So you'd only have to change diapers for 2 weeks, max.

Portia said...

Interesting. I wonder who decided that no one could have the same status for longer than two weeks. (Incidently, I probably will be changing poopy diapers for more than two weeks; sigh). I wonder if this change came about at the same time that Facebook stopped asking "What are you doing?" and started asking "What's on your mind?"