I like the idea that I've lived in New York City, Chicago, and Los Angeles all within a one-year period, but the fact is that I haven't really gotten the LA experience. Our city is the very definition of suburbia, the "-urbia" in this case being LA.
The suburbs are like being on vacation. Tra la la, take Baby to the pool; tra la la, drive to the park even though it's only a fifteen minute walk away; tra la la, oops I forgot to pick up the dry cleaning again, but maybe I'll remember tomorrow; ooh look, it's the MTV Movie Awards on TV, full of people with more energy than I have.
The suburbs are also beautiful: no piles of garbage, no neon lights, no nasty mismatching stripmall store fronts (we keep things respectably mission style around here).
Do I miss big city life? Sure. I mean, I guess. It's no secret that if there was only Portia and no Husband, no Baby, no Family, I'd live in a big city and love it. But it's not like I can't see why city lovers move to the suburbs and refuse to leave. Life is hard enough without having to deal with a public transportation schedule and piles of garbage on the sidewalk.
Sunday, June 06, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Speaking of the 'Burbs, I watched "Rear Window" the other day, and I realized that the movie "The Burbs" is totally a parody. I had no idea.
That is all.
Post a Comment