Friday, August 27, 2010

Things I Love and Things I Hate

Maybe it's because I come from a big family, or maybe it's because I'm a generally indecisive person, but I always get a little zing when I discover something about my preferences that makes me different from most other people. And the different-er it makes me, the better, because it means that I'm special, distinct, and important. In other words, I like to find out that most people hate something that I love.

For example, I love the smell of gas stations. I don't know if it's the exhaust or of the evaporating gasoline, but whatever it is, I love it.

I love old scratchy towels. When a towel reaches the stage that other people think is only good for washing the car, I think it's just right for drying my freshly-showered body.

I love living in an apartment when paper-thin walls and kooky neighbors. Granted, I've never lived next door to a punk band, but maybe even then...

I love universal health care (which puts me in a distinct minority in my current social circles).

I usually don't broadcast the things I hate that most people love because I don't want to sound like a party pooper. But those things still make me feel special and identified.

I hate ice cubes in my beverage unless they are absolutely necessary.

I hated the Twilght Saga. (See, I hope that people who love the Twilight Saga with rabid intensity have the sort of flamboyant, fast-paced personalities that don't stop to read teeny tiny print.)

Here's something interesting: even though I like finding these identity-affirming things about myself, once I find them, I love finding other people who share these quirky traits. It makes me want to start a scratchy towels club.

What do you love? What do you hate?

3 comments:

Christina said...

I also hate Twilight. Not that I ever read them, because I didn't, but I hated the idea of them so much that I have never been able to bring myself to read them. Or watch the movies. Gag me.

Crolace said...

I could join your club in most of those categories, with a couple of qualifiers on the paper-thin apartment walls. In my current apartment, the sound carries really, really well between my bathroom and the guy's upstairs. So I know more about his bodily functions than I would prefer.

Also, when I can hear noises from my neighbors' apartments, it makes me shy about the noises I make when I'm at home. I probably won't be singing in the shower again until I live in a house.

But yes, I'm totally with you on the scratchy towels and ice cubes.

Unknown said...

I pile as many ice cubes into my beverages as possible. Assuming I'm at home. At a restaurant, where they ice is just an excuse for them to give me less to drink, I ask for no ice.

On a more general note, I finally discovered your blog, thanks to a post from your husband on Facebook. Every so often I discover someone who makes me totally jealous by how well they write about real life.

Welcome to that small club. I'm going to drive my blog into your blog and run it off the road, that's how jealous I am.