Monday, April 16, 2007

Muscle Momma

I accidentally left my cell phone in the car with my husband and baby, so I am impossible to reach right now, except by e-mail. It's a pretty cool feeling, just sitting in my blue chair and listening to the sounds of the teenagers downstairs who are supposed to be in school right now. I think I'll take a long shower after I'm done with this so I won't even be available over e-mail. Hmm...

So, I've been pumping iron this morning (another reason I could use a shower). I'm pretty much a lean mean mom-machine.

Actually, nothing makes me feel more weak than lifting weights at the gym. I can't lift much weight, and when I get home, I have trouble even opening my laptop.

I thought that I was getting incredibly strong from schlepping my baby around. I think that I probably got strong in the beginning, but then I started figuring out creative ways to conserve energy and he started to be able to shlep himself around a little more. I wonder if anyone's ever studied exactly which muscle groups are affected by being the primary caregiver for an infant. Probably not. Experts are interested in every tiny change in a gestating female's body, but once that baby's out, Mama's gotta figure it out on her own.

Well that shower's calling to me. Then maybe I'll make a sandwich and read a magazine and paint my toenails and do whatever else I can remember from my prebaby days.

No comments: