Sunday, May 20, 2007

Potpourri

It really hard not to have my own computer all day, every day. Mine is out of commission right now--I'd go into details, but computer-related details are boring--so I'm using Hubby's. He couldn't be more accommodating, but even the most accommodating husband's computer is not the same as having your own. Law school spoiled me on this, I guess. I forgot how to share.

So that's part of the reason that it's been a while since my last post. Another part is that I just haven't. Sorry.

New York is still busy being awesome. Yesterday we had a family outing to Teddy Roosevelt's birthplace, and on the way, we walked through a huge street fair on 9th Avenue where we blew all of our money on really delicious Greek, Argentinian, Venezuelan, Korean, Turkish, and American food. The problem with eating so many new foods so fast is that you don't remember the names of anything, so you don't know what to order when you actually visit a Greek, Argentinian, etc. restaurant.

Teddie Roosevelt's birthplace was neat-o too. I'm seriously considering becoming a TR-head (like a Dead-head, not like a Potato Head). I don't freak out about history, but pretty much everything about Teddie Roosevelt is fascinating, so I wouldn't mind making an exception for the particular subject of him.

I've found that it's easy to make false assumptions about New Yorkers. First of all, a large number of the people you see are tourists, so their weirdness should not be held against the natives. Second of all, there are so many people that you're bound to run into a few crazies every day, and it's easy to project your daily experience with a crazy person on the rest of the people you see. You have to tell yourself, no, of the 2000 people I've seen today, only one of them has been a complete wacko, so that does not mean that New York attracts more crazies than the rest of the country.

The one observation that I think is definitely true about New Yorkers is that they love babies and they are fantastic about helping out with getting strollers up and down stairs in the subway and giving up their seats for young moms such as myself. This is a good thing.

1 comment:

Crolace said...

Did you see "Night at the Museum?" It's a nice, entertaining little movie, and a wax Teddy Roosevelt plays a very important role.