To make up for my recent cyber-silence, I'm going to try to post a bunch of entries today. Baby is being particularly good-natured, so I think I've got a good 15 minutes or so before he realizes that I'm not giving him my full attention.
At this stage in my life, I find my brain is just teeming with Interesting Ideas, but I've had a difficult time finding an outlet. Even though Baby's getting ridiculously large, he still demands about 95% of my time and attention, and it's hard to record Ideas when I need to have my eyes, my nose, my voice, both arms, and (let's face it) a breast directed toward Baby. Typing on a computer is not an easy task because it means that I need to be watching the screen and using both hands at the same time. When I'm desperate for computer time, I can hold Baby on my lap with one hand and type with the other, but this is slow and often results in Baby inflicting some kind of punishment on my computer (soymilk in the keyboard, broken network cables, entire laptop thrown off the table, etc.). Amazingly, even though I can't seem to multitask between nursing my baby and typing on my computer, Baby can nurse and produce the mischief of his choice.
Just think of all of the profound insights from nursing mothers that have gone unrecorded. It would be fascinating to know what my favorite thinkers throughout history thought about while they nursed--an activity that leaves a mother with nothing much to do but think. These probably brilliant, funny, spiritual ideas were all lost to sleepless nights and exhausted memories. So so sad.
Maybe I'll teach this Baby shorthand over the next year or so. Then he can be my little scribe while I'm nursing my next baby. Maybe I'll even get him his own little laptop.
Tuesday, June 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment