BYU hosts Education Week every year the week or so before fall semester begins. The name is not the most helpful in actually describing what goes on there, but I can't think of a better one that would describe it. Basically a bunch of people teach a bunch of different classes, and other people attend them for the purpose of, well, getting educated. There's definitely a religion-centered theme to the classes ("Symbolism in the Gospel of John," etc.), but some of the most popular ones are "Folk Dancing for Fun and Fitness" and "Beautiful Skin at All Ages." Whatever people feel like learning, they'll teach it at Education Week.
Since I'm starting my thirteenth year of living in Provo, I've known about Education Week for a long time, but this is the first time I've actually attended. It was a little humbling to don my necklace name badge and carry my Education Week schedule around campus after twelve years of secretly scorning the Education Weekers.
Anyway, it was a good day. Husband was sweet enough to take baby for over 4 hours, so I went to 4 classes. I have to say, running around campus again made me feel a little blue to see another school year looming when the only formal education I'll be getting this year is Education Week. Bless its heart, but Education Week can't really measure up to an honest-to-goodness degree program. It's not that I want to pursue another degree (the thought makes me ill), but I think I need something to rub my brain cells against--something slightly more tricky than regulating Baby's bowel movements and something slightly more active than reading for pleasure.
One of the classes today was about setting up a preschool co-op for your own alone time as well as for the social development of your children. That would give me a few hours a week to start planning the next phase of my career. Hmm.
Monday, August 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I went to education week once in an effort not to go crazy with inactivity after I'd been home from my mission a couple of weeks. It was cool.
I don't think I could go to a class entitled Folk Dancing for Fun and Fitness. Maybe Folk Dancing for Fun and Dollars... If I'm going to dance, there had better be some huge, monetary reward for it. :)
Rob's parents, sister, and littlest brother stopped by on Sunday to visit on their way down. Rob took the brochure and starred every class he would have enjoyed for his dad. He only starred like 4. Scorning....
Post a Comment