Baby had his first parent-tot swimming lesson today. There's something about seeing a little boy splashing around and laughing that makes you just want to kiss him right up. He loved it, and I consider the experience a success in spite of the fact that he didn't manage to master the skill of the day (kicking). He came home and had the easiest going-down-for-a-nap time he's had in weeks.
Baby has also been going to parent-tot tumbling. Basically, a local tumbling place opens early once a week and lets kids, five and under, come play on the equipment for an hour with their parents. Baby is really good at running up and down the ramps (he has a thing for ramps, as I think I've mentioned before), and last week he mustered up the courage to jump into the pit of foam rubber blocks all my himself.
Why, you may ask, is this woman putting her child in extra-curriculars before the child is even old enough for the "curricular?" Am I a competitive, pushy mother who must see her child succeed prodigiously at something? Am I a free-thinking mother who wishes to maximize her son's options by allowing him to explore interests at a ridiculously early age? Am I a bored mother with too much time and money and a willing child to use it up?
No. I am a mother who is tired of having a cranky baby with nothing to do on these January days except watch "Curious George" and "Learning About Numbers" for the millionth time.
Saturday, January 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I wish we had a mom and tot tumbling place. I'm getting really tired to those McDonald's pies - a token purchase in order to use their indoor playground.
Actually, I thought of you and your kids the whole time I was there. You'd love it. When you come to visit, we'll put it on your to-do list.
Post a Comment