Thursday, October 08, 2009

Context

Yesterday I saw the security guard from the church building without his uniform on. It was so weird. I hadn't realized how much I had associated him with his uniform. And the day before that I saw another guy from church wearing jeans and a baseball cap when I had only ever seen him wearing a suit and tie before. Again, weird.

I typically can't remember what people wear. I'd like to think that this is because I am such a fabulously deep person that I don't pay attention to surface details. It makes me wonder if I wasn't really appreciating these two people for themselves but only for what they represented: Suit guy is the person I talk to when I want to turn in cub scout receipts; security guard is, you know, a security guard. Of course I knew that suit guy occasionally wore something other than a suit, but I had never thought about it before. Is this a bad thing? Would I be a better person if I saw every person as a multifaceted individual? Would that be too exhausting in a city like New York (or, supposedly, Chicago) where I come into contact with thousands of people every day?

Hmm.

2 comments:

display name said...

Was the security guard naked?

Portia said...

Ack! No! He was wearing jeans and a tee-shirt.

But he may as well have been naked, I was so weirded out.

(Ok, I would have been more weirded out if he had been naked.)