Friday, May 08, 2009

Celebrity Sighting

Baby and I were leaving Hecksher Playground (sp?) in Central Park after Baby pushed over his fourth one-year-old in a fifteen minute period. As we were walking out, we saw one of Baby's preschool co-op friends being strolled into the playground. And the person pushing the stroller was the most famous Mormon in the world. I had sort of forgotten that this famous person was Baby's friend's grandpa.

I probably should have used my preschool co-op mom status to my advantage at this point. Perhaps I could have casually mentioned that I was looking for a job and would he mind writing me a letter of recommendation.

I didn't. I just said, "Look, Baby, it's Friend's grandpa," and then I spun on my heel and hightailed it out of there before Baby tried to kick him in the shins. I think we were out of earshot by the time Baby swiped at the air and yelled, "No, Grandpa!" Baby's value as a networking device is complicated. He is often charming, and he provides endless opportunities to fill in conversation gaps, but he is just as likely to insult the networkee.

It was a beautiful day. In a few weeks I will have lived four complete seasons in New York City. I'm becoming just ethnocentric enough to believe that this is something every American should do. Spring is lovely, but fall is still my favorite (hay fever puts a damper on things). In the spring, thousands of migrating songbirds pass through Central Park, and birdwatchers visit from all over the United States. Celebrities also occassionally stop by.

6 comments:

Crolace said...

Who did you see??

The most famous Mormon in the world? Harry Reid? Donny Osmond? Mitt Romney? Stephanie Meyer? Jesus? Who it is would have to depend on what circles you move in, I guess.

Deon said...

I was going to take Donny Osmond off the list of possibilities but, come to think of it, Donny is probably old enough to have grandchildren now.
Ken Jennings might have made it to the top 5 once but I don't think his fame is the sort that has lasted.
I think it must have been Mitt Romney.

display name said...

Joseph Smith was in Central Park?!

Rachel Mae said...

We all just guessed Mitt as well. (Me, dad, friend).

xister said...

Stephanie Meyer is no one's grandpa.

Portia said...

It was Mitt. I actually didn't mean to make a big mystery out of it -- I just didn't want Mitt to find out whie he was doing his daily troll of the Internet to see what people were saying about him. (He's a little paranoid, that Mitt).

Too late now though. Hello, Mr. Romney. Would you like to write me a letter of recommendation?