We are probably moving to a different apartment when our lease is up. Rents have dropped twenty percent in New York City, but our rent has only dropped five percent. So it's back to the real estate section of the Times...
Would I rather live in the mansion house in Slum City or the shack in Moneybagsville? I feel like this is the decision I am faced with if I want to continue living around here. There's not much in between. Seriously, the difference between one of the most desirable sections of the Upper East Side and one of the scariest most crime ridden sections Spanish Harlem is one block and about $1500 per month in rent.
The answer is that it doesn't matter. Either way my neighbors want to shoot me.
But seriously, where would you live, given the choice?
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hmmm, I think small apartment, safe location would be great for the summer and bigger place in a more dangerous neighborhood for the winter would be ideal. Obviously. But really, with a child, I feel more vulnerable everywhere I go, so I'd probably sacrifice on house space for the safety.
If you can handle the commute, I'd seriously recommend where my friends lived in the Bronx. Cheap rent, good neighborhood, nice apartments, etc. The only downer is the train ride!
Does Moneybagsville mean Safetown and good neighbors? If so, safe neighborhood with bad apartment is the best choice. That way if the place is too bad, you can just crash at your neighbors'. Also, I don't think your neighbors would want to shoot you in this situation. They might even invite you to join them in throwing rocks at your windows for sport.
Ooo. Interesting question!
I heard that, in Salt Lake City at least, the highest crime rates are actually in the wealthier neighborhoods. Better targets for burglaries and things.
I think you're always safest if you know your neighbors and they know you.
Post a Comment