I'm feeling sluggish and sentimental today. It's not an uncommon feeling for me on Mondays. I've never been much of a hit-the-ground-running type of person, and I tend to face Mondays dead-eyed and slack-jawed. I get better and better as the week goes on, and by Friday night, I'm rocking and rolling.
I lounged across the couch this morning, watching Baby push his cars across the rug while I listened to our bathroom faucet leaking water down the drain. A siren passed on Ninth Avenue. For about thirty seconds I thought sad thoughts about wasting water with leaky faucets and wasting childhoods with lazy mothers. My throat started to tighten, but the metaphor didn't get me anywhere so I discarded it. It was a useful metaphor in a way because it did motivate me to get up, get showered, and get on the phone to arrange a play date.
Here's the nice thing about the realization that Mondays just aren't my thing: Every single thing I manage to accomplish on a Monday is a big deal, worthy of an exclamation point. I washed Baby's hair! I emptied the dishwasher! I applied for another job! I called the super about the leaky faucet!
Monday, May 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You also made a post which gave me something to read while I sit her in bed late at night! So thank you!
You really should write a novel, you know. It would be good.
I agree. Portia's first novel. As long as the job thing isn't working out right now, put in a chapter or two.
Post a Comment