Thursday, November 19, 2009

Circulation

When I start to get cold, my nose gets cold first. If I didn't care about looking like a dufus (and I do care about this, in spite of what the pharmacist at Walgreens may think), I think I'd wear a nose bag as soon as the weather starts to get cold. Do those even exist? The only time I've seen one was in a BBC video version of "A Child's Christmas in Whales." Since I can't wear one, I just primly place two fingers over the bridge of my nose when the cold is too unbearable. I have no idea what people think I'm doing. Holding up invisible glasses?

The next body parts to get cold are my feet. Luckily, this is a circulatory problem that I share with a large segment of the population, so there are plenty of socially acceptable remedies, starting with wool socks and squashy house slippers.

I loved the winter that I was pregnant with Baby, when I was never, ever cold. I just felt heat radiating off of me all the time, powered by a bean-sized fetus. This was when I was living in my parent's basement for crying out loud, an astoundingly cold place. Husband and I just went ahead and left our milk out on the table because putting it back in the fridge would just warm it up.

Baby demands so many things from me. Sometimes, like tonight while I sit with my wool socked feet propped up next to the heater and I type with one hand while the other is hooked over my nose, it's good to remember that Baby did manage to keep me beautifully, blissfully warm for one winter.

4 comments:

Deon said...

I notice that my nose is cold when I am sedentary in a cool place, which makes sense because I am breathing cool air through my nose. But, when I am moving around a lot or doing dishes (hands in the nice warm water--Mmm-mmm!), my nose doesn't feel cold. I am not sure why. I'm still breathing cold air and I certainly don't stick my nose in that nice warm water -- at least not on purpose.
On those days that I am tied to a computer, I may need to resort to a nose mitten (happily the keyboard warms my hands after it has been on a while).

xister said...

A child's Christmas in whales? Doesn't that sound like Pinnochio? :)

Deon said...

And, by the way, I think the term is "nose mitten". A nose bag is something you put on a horse.

Crolace said...

I think the first thing to get cold on me is my soul. I just start to get generally grouchy before I'm consciously aware of any actual physical discomfort.