Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Blue Chair

I bonked my knee this morning. That's the short story. The long story is that I was at my parents' house, about to take a shower but after I undressed and turned on the water, I remembered that I had left my teensy bottles of non-Suave shampoo upstairs. I was pretty sure that Baby and I were the only ones in the house, so I crept upstairs and ran into the computer room to retrieve my backpack. I forgot that my center of gravity had recently shifted, making me a super-klutz. In my naked dash to the den, I twisted my right ankle, fell down, and landed on my left knee.

I normally like to shriek loudly when I'm in pain, but this time I only whisper shrieked. I was deathly afraid that I had miscalculated who was still in the house. I had a horrifying split-second vision of my dad hearing his daughter shrieking and running down the stairs to find her lying on the floor, her recently pregnant abdomen flapping in the morning breeze, yelling "cover your eyes!" Lucky for me, my dad wasn't home. You know, I've been feeling kind of sorry for myself lately, and I probably need to pay more attention to tender mercies like these. At least Dad wasn't home.

So anyway, I bonked my knee, and I have to stay off of it for the day (not doctor's orders, just common sense because it weally huwts when I twy to walk on it). I have taken refuge in my favorite chair in the world. It's the blue Lay-Z-Boy recliner that I lived in for the two years I gestated Baby, wrote all of my law school final research papers, and nursed Baby for 14 months. Sadly, this chair now lives at my parents' house. It would have taken up our entire New York apartment, and in the time since we've left New York, we haven't found a way to transport it without paying more for the transportation than the money-value of the chair (the sentimental value of the chair is priceless, yes, but not so priceless that I'm willing to pay whatever to move the thing wherever my nomadic life leads me). Thus, when I visit my parents, I visit my chair.

Know what was on my to-do list today? Clean my parents' entire house (well, the main part of it, anyway). I wasn't really looking forward to it, but I was going to do it anyway because I love my parents and I love my little brother whose graduation will be celebrated in this house tomorrow afternoon.

I love my chair slightly less than I love my parents and little brother, but if I have to give up doing something nice for parents and brother, I'm satisfied to spend the day in the chair.

By the way, I've decided to write non-sad blog entries for a while. I think that blogging about the twins does more harm than good for me at this point. Talking to people: helpful. Blogging: not so much.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Any naked dash story is a good story. Sorry about the knee, though.